Sunday, September 21, 2008

My best history lesson

I watched "Shiva" when I was 9 years old and till this date that's my most memorable movie experience. I did not know who Ram gopal varma was as I was too young to care about who the director of any movie was. Later, down the years I came to know about his movies but very little about him. Ramu was my most favorite director along with Maniratnam in those days. I formed a mental picture about what this guy was like through his movie. But in those days, as there weren't any TV channels and as I had no access to any film magazines, I never read any interview of his except from listening to some people saying that he is a very arrogant person.

After the advent of internet, I think in 1999 I came across this fansite for RGV and for the first time I read some of his interviews. I was shocked on reading some of them as RGV from those interviews turned out to be very different from what I imagined. Even till today, after reading/watching hundreds of interviews of him, I still get those shocks. I think that is most unique trait of the maverick Ram gopal Varma.

My fascination with most of the actors, directors dies out after knowing everything there is know about them (professional and personal). Infact, most of them are very normal and uninteresting and there is very little that is worth knowing, especially the big ones. Probably, this is why I still follow every interview of RGV with a great interest. I never get to understand him and just when I think I am getting closer, RGV says something that will make you wonder if you know him at all.

One thing that has been most common about this man is that he talks very little about his personal life. I am not interested in personal lives of any celebrities but RGV is an exception. I used to read interviews of every actor/technician/writer who has ever worked with RGV with a hope that they will reveal something about this man that I don't get to know directly from his interviews. The most curious aspect of RGV's career to me was how a guy with no practical expereince in any department of cinema and with no friends/relatives in that field got a chance to direct a movie, that too in telugu where the issues like family, caste and experience matter a lot. I never really got a concrete answer to that question from anybody.

A sigh of relief. After 16 years, the wait is finally over. The man never ceases to amaze me. RGV in his blog started writing about his first break and reading about the behind the scenes of "Shiva" is the best history lesson (if history is the right word) ever.

Waiting for more from RGV......

No comments: