Saturday, June 10, 2006

A good remake

I know its a stupid movie but a good stupid movie which does not take itself seriously. I also know that there is no real reason for remaking this movie but to exploit the 6.6.06 date factor and a good chance of minting money from the teenagers. But here I am at the movie theatre on the very first day of its release. I was intially hesitant of watching this movie when I first saw the trailer back in 2005. I thought it was one of those stupid sequels like the one for the Exorcist. But recently I happened to see another trailer of the movie which revealed to me that it was just a re-make.
Omen is one of those rare horror movies which have a proper story line and as well as some good scares. This movie was good in the sense that it faithfully followed the original and didn't try to screw up with over the top graphics and visuals. One or two scenes in the movie were totally useless (the usual ones in which in a character is in a bizzare incident and we later know that it was just a dream) and it was clear that they were aiming those scenes at those high-school kids who it seemed really enjoyed and for my embarassment they even applauded. The women who played Damien's caretaker's role ( the one who played Rosemary's role in "Rosemary's baby, a great horror by the way) was awesome and Damien himself was not that great and when he gives that omnious look all the time he was more of cute and less scary.
I had some shocking experiences lately at the movie theatres when I witnessed people gave a standing ovation to the movies like "Davinci code" and "United 93". I can understand and would second their response to "United 93" but a standing ovation to "Da vinci code" was ridiculous. With "The Omen", I was praying that they would not do to this and thank god my prayers were answered.

1 comment:

Twisted DNA said...

I liked the original Omen. I was hoping the technological advancement would make the remake better. I gather it's not that great, then?

I didn't like Da Vinci Code either. Luckily only "standing" that was done was for leaving before credits :)